Saturday, July 25, 2009

Post-travel, pre-travel, and other rambling nonsense

This morning I administered my 19th shot in as many days, and all is still going well, for the most part. I'm noticing that the injection-site reactions are taking on a bit of a pattern--a bruise and/or welt (think extra large mosquito bite) that itches for several days, then goes away. I probably won't be searching for clothing that specifically exposes my injection sites any time soon, but then I've never been much of an exhibitionist, so all is good with the world.

Last week I took my first trip with the medication, and it was a piece of cake. Granted, this trip was like taking baby steps into the realm of traveling with meds--it was a 3 hour drive (no airplanes and/or security to deal with), it was my parents house (with ample refrigerator space for storage), and it was with my family, so I didn't have to find a private space in which to administer the injections.

Next week I'll be taking yet another baby step into this realm, driving 6.5 hours to the Upper Peninsula in Michigan for my bestest friend's wedding. It will be a little more complicated--longer drive (have to make sure temperature controls are in place, although it shouldn't be a big deal), and a stay in a rustic cabin (or at least that's how I picture it) on the lake. I'm relatively certain there's a refrigerator in the cabin, which I'm sharing with my bestie's mom (the entire cabin--not just the refrigerator). Since I have known both my bestie and her mom for the better part of 25 years, I think I'll be safe if she catches me mid-injection as well.

My summer travel plans, which are peppered with financial factors (economic smackdown plus new-found medical expenses), are free of airline travel for the foreseeable future. I think these mini-road-trips are a fantastic way to aclimate myself to traveling as a card-carrying injector (literally--I have a card that allows me to travel with my meds).

There has been talk of a camping trip later this summer... now THAT should be interesting. If and when it happens, I will surely have several neurotic posts as I figure out how the heck that will work. Thank jeepers for sites like this one, where someone has already tested a lot of equipment for active peeps dealing with pesky MS.

No comments: