Tuesday, June 30, 2009

T-minus seven days (and counting)

One week from today I have my appointment with the needle advisor to begin a lifetime of daily injections. I know it’s really not so bad, and that the meds are clinically proven to slow the progress of the disease, but I’m cherishing every remaining day that I do not have to deliberately puncture my skin and inject foreign chemicals into my body.

This will also mark nearly three months since my initial diagnosis. Wow. Time flies. But holy crap, it has been a fantastic three months. I got a tattoo. I have ramped up my intensity in soccer (sometimes playing two, three, or four games in a single day). I have spent several weekends at the family farm in Iowa. I have been to San Antonio and Washington D.C (both trips for work, but I managed to find time to do some exploring). I ran a 10k at a pace I was more than happy with. I have taken risks I wouldn’t normally take. I bought a kayak. I plan to enjoy the upcoming 4th of July weekend to its fullest.

I know few things are likely to change when I begin my injections next week, but for some reason July 7th looms out there like a deadline for me. I guess that’s the curse and the blessing of MS—you don’t know what’s beyond the next curve, so you gotta drink in each stretch as best you can.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you pretty much rock, shold!!