Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Beetlejuice! Beetlejuice! Beetle....

July is the kickoff month for my Myelin Hollywood Era! And here's why...



You see, according to the information I found on the MS Society's website, the Copaxone regimen I'm due to begin on July 7 will introduce something of a "stunt double" for the myelin my body produces naturally. The master plan of these stunt doubles is to act as a front-line of defense by confusing the rogue T-cells that are attempting to obliterate my body's healthy myelin.

I liken it to some poor schlub baring her bottom for the camera so I don't have to. Ah, Copaxone--you wonderful, selfless, exhibitionist friend.

What, you may be asking, does the Myelin Hollywood Era have to do with Beetlejuice? There is a connection, I swear. Along with the new shipment of drugs that arrived (another cryptic delivery from the fine folks at FedEx) today, I also received a delightful packet of information from Shared Solutions, the support network developed by Teva Pharmaceuticals (manufacturers of Copaxone). At the forefront of this packet was the official (looking) Handbook for MS.



I'm sure you've already made the connection, but in case it is eluding you, here you go... In Beetlejuice, when Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis find themselves hurled into the unfortunate position of post-mortem purgatorial living, they are given the Handbook for the Recently Deceased. This book is designed to help them navigate through the deserts, sand-snakes, and curious goth teenagers that are included in the afterlife. Naturally, when I unwrapped the MS Handbook, the book from Beetlejuice was the first thing that came to mind. Because let's face it, nobody wants to be on the mailing list for either--and yet here we are (the Maitlands and I). If this handbook adds even a fraction of the value that the Handbook for the Recently Deceased did for them, I'm ready to rock this $hit. Bring it.

No comments: