Thursday, January 7, 2010

More News, a.k.a. Pre-Euphoric Posting

I had my appointment with DSO on Monday, and he confirmed my suspicions--MS is behind my new and inconvenient symptom. I guess that makes my diagnosis "official." At least that's how it feels. I think I was living in an optimistic world, bordering on denial, where I truly believed I would be the power-patient who never experienced another symptom after my diagnosis, but sucked all of the lessons out of the diagnosis to enrich and enhance my life. Carpe diem and all that. Ah, what a story that would have been. But alas, this "Choose Your Own Adventure" story has gone into auto-pilot--at least for a short while--and I am no longer at the helm.

Let me backtrack a bit to shed some light on what exactly what this new symptom is, and what it means for me. Based on DSO's clinical examination, the apparent cause of the dizziness and accompanying motion sickness is nystagmus. DSO believes there is a small lesion in the vicinity of my brain stem that--if I understand correctly--is interrupting communications between my eyes, wreaking havoc with my visual stability. The result is near constant dizziness, accompanied by occasional motion sickness (mitigated by periodic doses of OTC Meclazine), and difficulty focusing on people and objects.

Monday's clinical exam was followed by an MRI earlier today, which unearthed a new lesion (in an area of the brain completely unrelated to my current symptom--go figure), and confirmation that the lesion causing my symptom is visually undetectable in my MRI results, but in an area so sensitive that the symptom is clinically identifiable without supporting MRI images. In short, my MS is progressing, but not at an alarming rate. This progression is evidenced by the new lesion, as well as the new (unrelated) clinical symptom caused by a second--and apparently undetectable--lesion.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I (like most newly diagnosed patients) was diagnosed with relapsing and remitting MS. In short, this means that symptoms come and go over time as myelin is damaged in my central nervous system. By definition, my nystagmus is a result of a relapse, and it should only be a matter of time before I go into remission. However, that timeframe can vary pretty significantly from one person to the next, so I could be looking at days, weeks, or even months before returning to "normal," whatever that means for me. DSO informed me that I can expedite the return to remission by taking a very high dose of steroids, explained to me as the equivalent of 250 standard steroid pills per day--for three days. The benefit of such a high dose of steroids is a catapult back into remission. The downside to this high dosage is the laundry list of side effects that can be associated with it.

After several conversations with DSO, my dad (also an MD), and a few friends, I have thoroughly weighed my current discomfort with the possible side effects of the steroidal treatment. It is clear that the nystagmus is having a pretty significant effect on my quality of life, and as such I have elected to begin a three-day course of steroids tomorrow morning. I'm not sure if I'll ever be sure that this was exactly the right decision, or if I'm jumping the gun and using the steroid regimen to treat something that one day will seem like a cakewalk compared to other symptoms the future holds. But I don't think I care.

I just want to feel "normal" again.

**Check back soon for possible steroid-induced postings in what could well be 3 sleepless days of euphoria, irritation, sleeplessness, and increased blood pressure. Methinks this could get interesting...

1 comment:

Liz B (oklahoma) said...

The area of activity/inflammation on mine was the MLF...it stands for medial longitudinal fasciculus.