Saturday, August 15, 2009

Nothin' Karmic About This One...



Murphy's law keeps slamming Casa Skjold with citations... this time in the form of a (theoretically, at least) very sick dog. I found a ginormous rash on Darby's belly this morning, and after several hours of testing at the vet, it turns out it's more than the simple itchweed or bug bites I thought it was. Evidently her blood is not producing platelets on its own, and according to the test results (which were run three times just to be safe), her platelet count is so low that she should not have clotted when they took the blood, and she should bruise from the lightest touch.

My little medical mystery.

The blood samples have been shipped to a pathology lab in Texas for a more thorough review. In the meantime, she's on steroids and antibiotics, and under my watchful eye. Any cut or scrape could be a very bad thing at this point, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Won't you do the same?

It's okay if you want to judge me after I write what I'm about to write, but when the vet called me with the results, the first thing that popped into my head was this:

"Oh crap, not the good one..."

2 comments:

LLB said...

Could she be ANY cuter?? Good thoughts coming your way for both of you! Keep me posted...

Michelle W said...

Poor Darby! I hope she gets better soon.

And I knew what you were thinking without you writing it...