Monday, August 17, 2009

It was Bound to Happen Sooner or Later

Today’s injection was scheduled to be administered on the right arm. I dove into the routine like any other day… clean the area with an alcohol wipe, disassemble the AutoJect device, load the medicine and re-assemble. I located the injection site, lined up the AutoJect, and snapped the trigger. Pop! And… nothing. I couldn’t believe it. For the first time since starting the injections, I had found a magical spot where the needle didn’t hurt—at all! I reveled in the lack of pain for the full 10 seconds of the injection. I took a mental note to remember the exact location this injection went in so I could use it again and again and again.

I gently pulled the AutoJect away from my skin, expecting a tiny poke of pain as the needle left my arm.

Instead, a small gush of Glatiramer Acetate (aka Copaxone) poured out of the end of the injection device and onto the floor. What? I looked back at the tip of the AutoJect and realized I had made a rookie mistake. I forgot to remove the cap removal thingy, so I shot nearly $100 of Copaxone into the needle cap and onto a pool on the floor.



Nice.

No comments: