Monday, May 11, 2009

Pet Store Surrogate

Finally—the posting about treatment that I have been promising! Timely, because my first month’s supply of is scheduled to be delivered on Wednesday. Then, pending confirmation from DSO (Dr. Second Opinion), I am scheduled to meet with my Needle Advisor to officially kick off treatment with Rebif on May 26. But first things first…

What is Rebif?
Rebif is an injectable prescription medication classified as an Interferon (Interferon beta-1a, to be precise). It is a “biologic” or “biopharmaceutical” medication, which means that it is derived from a biotechnological process from one of the naturally occurring interferons (types of proteins). The proteins in Rebif are genetically engineered in Chinese hamster ovaries, and are synthetic versions (comprised of the same amino acids) of interferon proteins that naturally occur in human beings. Note: While I think I got all the facts right, medical professionals should refrain from basing treatment decisions on the preceding paragraph.

Um, Okay… So How does It Work?
As I was researching information about Rebif, I noticed that there were not a lot of sites containing information about how the treatment actually works in the body. So I pulled the following (word for word) from the MSLifelines site (hosted by Rebif’s manufacturers, Pfizer and Serono):

The precise way Rebif works is not known. Interferons, like Rebif, have many actions that affect the immune system. Some of these properties are thought to maintain and preserve nerve function. In this way, Rebif may help reduce the damage to the vital components of the central nervous system. Although there is no cure for MS, Rebif has been proven to slow the course of the disease.

And Now For the Most Important Question
You are now probably wondering if, by injecting myself with dozens of tiny synthetic proteins manufactured inside Chinese hamster ovaries, I run the risk of somehow coming across fertilized hamster eggs, and will soon be carrying dozens of surrogate Chinese hamster babies. From the research I have done so far, the answer to this question is no. I will keep you posted if that changes.



What About the Dang White FedEx Box You Keep Talking About?
What about it? It’s still safe and sound in the guest bedroom... Hmm, do I sense another post on the horizon? Perhaps…

2 comments:

Cindy (Carlson) Zerger said...

open pandora, g'head, do it. call me if you need back up. i'll stand behind you as you open it, and jump on whatever moves (like fly through the air, land on it full-body style). even small hamsters...i'm good with small things like that. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Pet Store Surrogate" to our Directory of Pets . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory and get a huge base of visitors to your website.


Warm Regards

Petgarden.info Team

http://www.petgarden.info