Saturday, April 10, 2010

new travel experiences

Last week I traveled to D.C. for a work conference. Having already made my inaugural trip with my medication in November, I figure it would be smooth sailing. And while I didn't encounter any significant problems, I did gain a few new insights through a couple of "hiccups" in my journey.

1. When navigating through security at MSP, I learned that in order to clear the security checkpoint, the ice pack in my medicine travel case must be frozen. Certainly not an issue on the outbound flight, but how's a girl to keep an ice pack frozen in a hotel room without a freezer?

2. Hotels do not simply make freezers available to guests with liquid temperature regulatory requirements (at least not the one I stayed at). In fact, it was somewhat difficult finding a solution. It was only after several repetitions of the story to the front desk staff, along with a copy of my Doctor's note, that they were able to put my ice pack in the restaurant freezer to get it frozen in time for the security pass on the way home. I recognize that this is a good thing--the hotel has health code requirements and guest safety at top of mind (they did not know what the ice pack contained). I would be unsettled if it were any other way. However, it is a good lesson in how to handle the issue in the future.

3. The security line at Reagan National Airport in D.C. has a separate line for "families and travelers with liquid medications." I consider myself a relatively savvy traveler, generally flying several times per year. Between my travel experiences and the fact that I work in the field of travel, I consider myself to be well-versed in how to navigate through a security line pretty efficiently. However, my designated line easily doubled the time I would have spent in the other, more fast-moving line.

None of these new findings are anything more than minor pains in the butt, but good information to keep in my pocket for future travels. And in the event that someone reading this is planning for their inaugural travel with injectables--hopefully something here will be helpful.

In the meantime, some pictures from my my travels...

Above the doorway at the Old Ebbitt Grill

Street scene at dusk

And finally,Delicious treats for weary travelers.

No comments: