Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Giving Thanks

Greetings from a cozy little coffee shop in Ames, Iowa!

I'm on a field trip from the farm, where I'm fixing to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family, and wanted to touch base with the blogosphere about some thoughts I've been having about giving thanks.

Of course I'm thankful for hundreds of things--I have a great family, and a network of fantastic friends, a job in a difficult economy, and a roof over my head.

But truth be told, it was sort of a bummer getting diagnosed with MS this year, and there have been a few times where I let myself dwell on the implications of that diagnosis. But at the same time, it has also helped me realize that today, I'm in a pretty freakin' good place. I'm heading into the winter season with lots of soccer, a newly renewed gym membership, and a brand new pair of snowshoes.

Sometimes I'm not sure if my family and friends understand why I have been filling so much of my schedule with physical activity of late, but the truth of the matter is this: Today, I can. And I honestly and realistically don't know if I'll be able to say that tomorrow. So even though it's expensive, and at times conflicts with some other fun activities, it is good for me. And it reminds me that my diagnosis with MS does not mean I have to change my lifestyle--at least not today. And for that I think I'm pretty damn lucky.

So from someone who has a tremendous amount to be thankful for, I send you my very best wishes for a safe and happy Thanksgiving. And I hope you all have much to be thankful for this year as well.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

And I am thankful for a friend like you who knows when to give thanks. Wonderful post KMS...I learn more about you all the time (and, um, would have mentioned this post had I been up on my reading...whoopsies). :)