Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tuesday was a long day.


I have seen several studies, including this one, that give Tuesdays the illustrious designation of Most Productive Day of the Week. For the most part, I have to say that I agree. Take this Tuesday, for example.

I went into my office in the morning, where I had several meetings to determine marketing material needs for an internal client. Then I had lunch. Then I went to my Neurologist’s office, where my diagnosis for Multiple Sclerosis was clinically confirmed. Then, on my way home, I stopped and got myself a lovely tattoo.

To be fair, I don’t know if this example technically supports the theory that Tuesdays are the Most Productive Day of the Week. Generally speaking, I rarely get disease diagnoses OR tattoos on Tuesdays. But meetings—THOSE I have darn near every week!

I digress… and realize there may be some questions the previous paragraphs may have generated. So I’ll expand a bit (in the order I anticipate the questions would arise)…

Diagnosis
The MS diagnosis came on the heels of several years of symptoms, a well-intentioned-but-not-entirely-on-the-mark diagnosis of chronic maxillary sinusitis, a change in healthcare providers, and much medical testing. Specifically, my symptoms started as sharp shooting pains behind my eyes (the symptoms date back to sometime in 2004-2005), and evolved over the past few months into partial vision loss in my left eye during intense physical activity (soccer games, for example). Finally, over the past few days, the vision issues have evolved further to general pandemonium (physical activity or no physical activity) in my left eye. I can see alright, but it looks like someone has been seriously messing with my brightness and contrast knobs.

Of course, nothing is as simple as saying “here’s why you have these issues with your peepers, and here’s what you can do to fix them.” So a day that I envisioned bringing me closure and solutions really just opened a floodgate of new questions. More on that in a later post…

Tattoo
I have known for a couple of weeks that there was a good chance this diagnosis was coming. So I made plans for myself for DxDay (diagnosis day) to keep it fun and exciting. I tried to think of something that I never would have done otherwise… and the obvious answer? Get a freakin’ tattoo. The image I chose was a Dwennimmen, a West African symbol representing strength and humility. Knowing that MS affects everyone differently, I have no idea what to expect—physically, visually, or otherwise. Because physical strength is inextricably woven into the fabric of who I am (I likes to stay active), I wanted to give myself a permanent reminder of how strong I am today, and that I also have the mental and emotional strength to integrate MS into my life—whatever that ends up looking like in the future.

Lunch
For lunch I had a delicious frozen entree (oxymoron?) of Thai Style Chicken & Rice Noodles. Delish.

Meetings
C'mon... really?

9 comments:

Michelle W said...

I am now an official follower of your blog and awesomeness.

Anonymous said...

I found another definition for Dwennimmen: Symbol of strength (in mind, body and soul),
humility, wisdom and learning (http://www.designsbyfati.com/html/adinkra/adkinkra_pages/28dwe_gif.htm)

You are a constant inspiration to me, Ms Shold, I will call you soon! XOXO

Tracy Holtan Shook said...

Great blog Krista! Since I don't know much abot MS, I've been doing a little research.

This website was helpful: http://www.nationalmssociety.org/index.aspx

Also, National MS Society’s Dr. John Richert speaks on NBC’s Today show about progress in treating MS. If you missed it you can watch it on video:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/29481402#29481402

There is so much hope, attention to, and promise for a MS treatment - after reading a lot about it, I'm very encouraged for your future (I admit, as first I was afraid because of my lack of knowledge).

We are here for you!

Tracy

Sunni D said...

Krista, you gots this, you sssooo got this.
Looking fwd to many future posts.

Tracy Holtan Shook said...

http://challengemnm.nationalmssociety.org/site/PageServer?pagename=CW_MNM_homepage

Challenge Walk MS: Twin Cities



accept the challenge. journey toward a world free of MS.
Sept. 11 to 13, 2009
Twin Cities


Register now for only $60.

Once in a while, a challenge calls that you simply must answer. Challenge Walk MS: Twin Cities is the perfect way to embrace a personal challenge of spirit and strength while making an important difference in the lives of people living with MS.

Join the Celebration and choose to walk:

Three days, 50 miles beginning Sept. 11
Two days, 30 miles beginning Sept. 12
Introducing $900 in ’09
That’s right, we lowered the pledge minimum from $1,500 to $900 for both the three-day and two-day options in hopes you will join the celebration and help us rocket past our 2009 fundraising goal.

Accept the challenge. It will be the most rewarding journey you’ll ever make.

Margi said...

K-Dawg...I love your blog. You have a strong spirit and I admire your positive and "real-life" approach to this! --MH

toni said...

Your new tat found a good home. You’re a perfect example of strength and humility.
Your blog is now in my favs along with your flicker site. For your next tattoo, will you consider a symbol for woman with many talents and friends? :) See you Sunday, SSU.

GidgetAGoGO said...

seems blogging will suit you; have always loved how you put words together, my dear

will email you tomorrow, kiddo!

xoxo

debbie kuehn said...

Hey you. Pat shared the news with me earlier. I know your spirit and incomparable wit will help you wrestle this demon to the ground and make him say, "Uncle" in no time. This is my first time on a blog. I'll be following closely. See you soon, Krista. Deb (and Soph in spirit)