Thursday, May 7, 2009

OMG (Oh My Garden)!

I love surprises. Which is why my approach to gardening, although strange to some, suits me to a tee. You see, last fall I purchased several packages of bulbs to supplement the garden of flowers I acquired from the family farm. I remember being really excited about the pictures on the bulb packages--bright colors, tulips, crocuses, and tons of other stuff that I didn't know how to pronounce.

I took special care to spread the plants strategically in areas throughout the yard that were devoid of cheerful floral goodness. I truly believed I would wake up from winter hibernation, yawn, stretch, and rub my eyes--and voila, a magical field of flowers blowing in the breeze--right in my own back yard!

Fast forward to today. While not yet a magical field of color, I do have a plethora of green buds springing up all over the place. Unfortunately, I did not map out what I planted where. In fact, I did not even go so far as to note the names of the plants. And I'm pretty sure I threw out a good portion of the packages that the bulbs came in.

So behold--my magical field of mystery.



I think this one is going to be some big round purple thingy with a bunch of little blooms on it, like a floral disco ball.



And this one is obviously some swan-like, graceful deep purple lantern-like inverted tulip thingy.



And finally we have the waterslide for raindrops.

I cannot wait until these mysterious foliages flourish in their full glory so I can try to figure out what the heck they are. In the meantime, they are doing a fine job of supplementing some of my old favorites.



Oh, yeah. I still haven't tackled that big ol' FedEx box of MS stuff, now tucked safely away in the guest bedroom. But I swear, when I do... a fabulous post will follow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. I have to admit, yours is the first blog i have ever frequented. I enjoy your posts.
Let's get together soon and appreciate spring with the dogs. Call me this weekend when you have some (cell phone) minutes to spare.
l,toni

Cindy (Carlson) Zerger said...

Inverted tulip thingy...that is AWESOME. Can I use? :) Perhaps it has bloomed by now? Perhaps a toad lily of sorts? Nice photos girl!

Anonymous said...

I'd love to see you take photos of the back side of flowers, daisys etc. They would be incredible.

Take care,

Tracy